Sunday 17 April 2011

Week 5 – 11 April

Tony arrived back on the island on Monday, laden with goodies. We met him at the airport and a family from Holly’s gymnastics club in Bishop’s Stortford walked through arrivals, so we’ll head off to catch up with them later. It’s a small world.

On Tuesday we met with the headteacher at Holly and Joe’s school. After an expensive trip to the uniform and bookshop (coincidentally owned by the school headmistress!), we headed home for some peace and quiet.

Tony has started using his TEFL qualification and is teaching some local kids English, and I am still keeping up with the Portuguese tuition for our children. We started verb conjugations and they went down a treat (NOT!). We did resort to I stink, you stink, he stinks … and much worse, but I think it worked ok.

A friend popped by with a phone number just as the local workman came to do DIY by my apartment. I was caught in a "there really is an innocent reason for standing in my towel at my front door chatting to older men moment." I’m sure I’ve lost my gentle English lady reputation. Oh ok, I’ve never owned that title!

The swimming pool has been filled – a sad day for all of us.

On Saturday we went to see the crabs and lunched at a local eatery – great apart from the cockroach in my beer bottle. On the way home, we bought a kilo of wahoo/tuna at the harbour. Fish stew for Saturday’s dinner and tuna steak for tomorrow. A great game of Scrabble last night – I mucked around with words like "eggy" and "jetee", then got serious with a "quad" and "cod" in one go. Still lost, but a fun sesh.

Jogged off the hangover with a mega-run, then met up with the gymnastics bunch on Sunday – Anne, Alex, Amy and Ethan, with whom we spent a lovely day at the beach. I forgot to put suncream on (major D’oh moment) and I am sitting at the PC this very moment, yoghurt and aftersun piled thickly everywhere. I’m using this as a lesson in "this is why you need to put suncream on."

Tony is at the pub and "networking."

No comments:

Post a Comment