Wednesday 4 May 2011

Week 7 - 25 April 2011

 
Monday: A subdued day. Danny’s first day back at school after Easter and he wasn’t impressed. I  made him grog muffins to calm him down.
Tuesday: The search for an authentic African drum. Tony had to take part in a drum jamming session in each drum shack, and ended up with more rhythm than Bob Marley.
Wednesday: Bongo wake-up call at 7am and Happy 39th to me. Cachupa (bean stew) breakfast- they do put all sorts in it to bulk it up – green bananas, butternut squash, fingernails… kidding.  I forgot they put shredded coconut in it until I found my second chewy piece of fingernail. Lunch was Tony’s home-made banana loaf, saved by our friend Loite’s home-made ice-cream left over from Sunday. After a pool-side chillax we went for a burger and bacon sandwich for dinner at a beach shack. It’s run by a Brazilian family and the guy reminds me of my brother  - ponytail, tanned, big smile, everybody’s friend… a bum, but a lovely bum! The evening was just as good as sitting on a beach in Thailand. A perfect birthday.

Thursday: I woke with the energy of someone who has just had a birthday and wants to do things in life. So we Spring cleaned the apartment. We swapped our big double bedroom with their small 3-bedded room. We then had meetings with an importer and an accountant. I bet my family never thought they’d hear me say such mature words!


Friday: We watched the Royal Wedding – 9am kick-off down the aisle. We were really privileged to watch it at a beach bar, with a bottle of champagne in one hand, and scones in the other. It was an amazing and emotional day. It really made you look back at your own life, and wonder where your own Prince Charming disappeared to! One siesta later and we were ready for Friday night out. A fantastic day. Long live William and Katy!


Saturday: we headed for a lagoon beach about 30 mins walk away. We found urchins, crabs and shrimp. It was really beautiful. On the way, we walked past the local “superstar” singer’s house, which was a wonderful Little Mermaid palace version of Hansel and Gretel’s house. Slightly OTT, but I think I’ve sold it to you. Later, Tony walked home from a boys night at the pub, and got himself work teaching English to the local hotel security staff. When I say security, I don’t mean that the place is wild and crime-ridden, it’s just that hotels are all-inclusive and use the coloured wristband system, so these guys check your wrists. I’m trying to think of a way round their system, to get access to the restaurants, but maybe Tony can wangle something now.

Sunday: Happy Cape Verdean Mother’s Day! We’re planning on a bit of gardening today, and then we have a beach BBQ to go to.
What a bonanza of a week, and I like being 39 years old.  I’m drinking more wine than Soft Mick!

No comments:

Post a Comment